Sunday, January 11, 2009

A few reflective thoughts for the New Year

I've been doing a lot of thinking as we've rolled into 2009. It started with a quote Lauren and Josh gave along with a gift this Christmas (Lauren you'll have to email it to me) and while I don't remember the words exactly, I remember the message behind it that there is a need in this world for perspective and simplicity. Christmas wasn't about the gifts that glitter or price tags that added up. Christmas, and life, is about finding happiness and getting our priorities in order. I have made many resolutions for myself over the years and the thing I find consistent is my desire to be happy. Not that I'm unhappy, but that there is always room for something more to bring us higher and make us better.

Maybe this is your year to be bold and try new things. New career, new home, new hobbies - whatever. Henry David Thoreau once said, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." I think everyone should have a dream and should live it. But always keep in mind the welfare of those we love and the commitments we have made.

Or maybe this is your year to unwind and reflect. Sometimes when life gets too crazy it can feel overwhelming. I know I get like that a lot. We look for happiness and peace. We crave the loving care of someone who doesn't judge, but will just listen as we tell our story. In those moments I turn to a favorite quote from Anne Frank, possibly one of the most incredible girls who has ever lived. She had a terrible life and still found hope, faith and the ability to look for the good in everything. She said, "The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature."

God does want us to be happy. That's why we are here! We have a loving Heavenly father who has made a plan of happiness for each of us. Maybe this is your year to find a renewal in your faith. We have friends of many religions and I hope that each of you take time to find God again this year. He loves you. He wants you to be happy. Our church has taught us that "happiness...is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ".

So, as you take time this year to expand or simplify your world, make yourself better, and search for happiness. Don't forget to spend some time talking to the One who really matters. One who loves you and will never leave you alone. Keep wishing people a "Happy New Year" and then think about what it really means to be happy.

Elder L. Tom Perry said recently, "In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test—to return and live with our Heavenly Father."

I believe that is true and I wish you all happiness and peace in this New Year.

Love, Alesha


p.s. Check out www.mormon.com or www.lds.org for answers to life's big questions and more instruction on how to be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great message Alesha!
My reflection is that I'm not the same person I was 20 years ago, and I'm not the same person I'll be in 20 years from now. Thank goodness I have 80+ years to keep making mistakes and trying again. I think I'll take your suggestion...I'm going to try a few "new" things this year, be brave, and set higher goals.
Love, Mom